Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Monday, October 11, 2010

The Care and Feeding of Teenage Boys Part 3

Last Friday I posted one of the responses my sisters and I sent after our youngest sister asked for advice about raising teenage boys (See Care and Feeding Part 1).  Here is the second response. 

Dear Nae,
I am laughing!

I am not sure what the problem is that you what advice on.
It all sounds pretty normal.

I would say is pick your battles. And in my opinion, clean rooms, texting etc aren’t worth the fight.  I am guessing there will big bigger battles later. But I was pretty lax and later thought I should have been stricter. Others may have different protocols they want to want to maintain.

Moods are normal. He is loved no matter how he feels about it .

My experiences is that kids will tell you want to do the rest of your life. Get used to it but with no obligation to actually show up and pay for everything.

You are doing a great job! Just buy more peanut butter.

I am looking forward to what my sisters say.

Thanks for the email. I had a friend tell me that when we are raising teenagers it is the hardest time to maintain honest friendships because we are all so embarrassed by how our kids are acting. But it sounds like to me your kid is doing great!


Disclaimer:  These notes were written to be read only by my sisters and myself.  If we sound advice-y, it is because we are big sisters talking to a little sister, and we can't help it. Besides, she asked for it. In contrast to the way we might sound, we are all mature enough to know that we don't really know anything anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment