Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Only Once in Forever

Halloween night, right at sunset, we were grilling brats for dinner. The kids were impatient to get outside to trick-or-treat; every 10 seconds they were demanding help for with this or that. The table needed to be set, I'm pretty sure that the phone rang too... But for just a few minutes my husband and I chose to be deaf to it all.

We ignored the kids, (I confess, I ignored them much more stubbornly than he did), the table, and the brats got a bit blackened. We were transfixed, frozen in place, watching the astounding art being painted in the sky. Unique curls of cloud caught fire ever so briefly. By the time I snatched my camera, they were mostly gone.  Fortunately, my husband was a faster snatcher than I was.
"I think life is staggering and we're just used to it. We all are like children no longer impressed with the gifts we're given - it's just another sunset, just another rainstorm moving in over the mountain, just another child being born, just another funeral."       Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, p. 58
I don't want to be so spoiled by the remarkable gifts God gives everyday that I become ungrateful. That sunset, with those clouds and those colors won't happen again, no matter how long this earth lasts. God unveiled that masterpiece only once, for a brief moment. I don't want to ever become so responsible, or important, or busy, that I forget what it is to be alive in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment