Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Good Thing About Being Mediocre

The other day I was a part of a discussion about becoming an excellent writer. It has been said that a writer does not truly find his voice until he writes a million words. One guy decided to calculate it out. A person who wants to find his voice, only the first step in becoming a great writer, would have to write 1000 words a day for nearly three years. If he takes weekends off, he wouldn't arrive for nearly four years. Another guy taking part in the discussion said that he heard about a study that said the people who truly succeed are the ones who have the highest capacity to withstand their own mediocrity. Everyone else gives up too soon.
I think the same principal applies to all greatness, not skill as a writer. Growth takes effort and time. If I want to grow, become a great person, or a great lover of God or a great lover of other people, I have to slog through a lot of mediocrity, and probably some abject failure along the way.

As I reflected on these ideas I decided not to be discouraged by them. In fact, I think I like them. It takes a lot of practice and perseverance to become great, achieve mastery. On the way to that mastery there is a lot a well intentioned mediocrity. If I find myself to be mediocre I should not conclude that I will never succeed and give up. Instead I will shrug my shoulders, accept this as my current place on the journey, and soldier on toward excellence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment