Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On Silence

If I could prescribe just one remedy for all the ills of the modern world, I would prescribe silence. For even if the word of God were proclaimed in the modern world no one would hear it; there is too much noise. Therefore, create silence. - Kierkegaard
This is what I crave today. Silence. I crave exterior silence around me. I want the noise and demands and chaos to stop and let me go. More than that, I crave interior silence; for the static in my head to cease and be still so that I can hear the voice of the Word of God.

Jesus, you are the one who calmed the storm. You said "'Peace! Be still!'  And the wind ceased and there was a great calm."(Mark 4:39, ESV)  Speak calm into the rough seas of my heart so that I can be filled with you instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment