Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

He Has Done Great Things for Me

This morning I read Mary's words of worship in Luke chapter 1. I realized that the God of Mary is the same God who lavishes good things on me.

For he who is mighty has done great things for me...and his mercy is with those who fear him...He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts...and he has filled the hungry with good things... Luke 1:46-55 ESV

Mary's words express my heart as well as I look back over the past year. I can see God's mercy over each day I crossed off the calendar. In learning the differences between parenting and step-parenting, I am the proud whose thoughts he scattered.  It was a good thing.

I am also hungry he filled with good things. Literally. For the past couple of weeks I set aside the habits of healthy eating I worked to develop this past year, and indulged in all the rich Christmas foods and fudge my refrigerator had to offer! I must say I thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

On a more serious note, he has also mercifully filled my soul hunger. The book of Psalms says that he "sets the lonely in families"(Psalms 68:6, NIV). I am so grateful for the companionship and love of my husband and the liveliness of my two year old step-family. He even filled my hunger for a slower pace by giving me the opportunity to change careers and spend my days writing.

God's greatest blessing is the most difficult to express. Even if he had not yet met the desires of my heart for those tangible things, I would have much to be thankful for. The gift of God's nearness to me through the past year and the confidence that he will be with me as the new year dawns are the greatest gifts by far.

Along with Mary I say "My spirit rejoices in God my savior."



No comments:

Post a Comment