Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Of Slaves, Mercenaries, and Daughters

There are some who praise God for his power, some who praise him for his goodness to them, and some who praise him simply because he is good.  The first is a slave, fearful on his own account.  The second is a mercenary and desires profit for himself.  The third is a son who honors his father.  Both he who is fearful and he who is greedy act for themselves.  Only he who loves like a son does not seek his own.   -Bernard of Clairvaux 
We modern people assume that we have come far.  We can access the internet on our cell phones.  Isn't that proof enough that we are an advanced civilization?  But Bernard's words centuries ago describe my prayers pretty well.  Sometimes I am self centered.  I act like a fearful slave who loves God for his power, or a mercenary who loves God because of what I want Him to do for me. I don't want to be that way though.  I want to love God like a daughter, just because He is my father.    

I am so glad that He is a gentle father.  Each day he is uses joy and pain and His words and my sisters and brothers and the sunset and the taste of fresh peaches to show me who he is.  And when I see, really see, I can't help but love Him just for Him.  In those times, my prayers are not full of fear and greed.  I forget myself for a moment, curl up close to him, throw my little arms around his neck, and exclaim "Abba!  I love you!"  In those times, I only want to stay there, close to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment