Earth's crammed with Heaven and every common bush afire with God
But only those who see take off their shoes
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries

Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Voices in My Head

Anne Lamott, one of my favorite authors, says "Left to its own devices, my mind spends much of its time having conversations with people who aren't there.  I walk along defending myself to people, or exchanging repartee with them, or rationalizing my behavior, or seducing them with gossip, or pretending I'm on their TV talk show or whatever.  I speed or run an aging yellow light or don't come to a full stop, and one nanosecond later am explaining to imaginary cops exactly why I had to do what I did, or insisting that I did not in fact do it."

I love Anne Lamott.  She makes me feel normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment